What Does Art Sound Like?

Greetings to my 2012-2013 art students and parents!


I'm so glad to be back in the blogging world! After a year-long break from blogging, I really missed it and wanted to get it going again! Plus, there is soooo much beautiful art to see! Enjoy the next few blog posts as I have blogging fever and want to show all that we've been doing!

At the beginning of the year, I have to remind my students of all the classroom expectations. I try not to bore them the whole time, so after a quick review, I get to the fun stuff as quickly as possible! This year as an opening activity, some classes listened to a few musical selections then drew scenes depicting what they thought was going on in the music.

This activity is good for a number of reasons:
  • We learned that art should have a meaning and story to it. Not just scribbles and chaos!
  • We got our brains back to thinking creatively after a summer of no art class!
  • This helps our new students feel more comfortable with a stress-free lesson.
  • Studies show that listening to music aids in the creative processing when drawing!
Here are the selections as well as a few examples of Second Grade work!
1. Trumpet Concerto in C
2. Op. 289 Persian March
3. Everlasting Gobstoppers (from the soundtrack Willy Wonka{Mrs. Edwards' favorite movie!})
4. The Entertainer

Several students pictured a train of some sort for #3!


I love the evil snake being charmed!
All the students did a super job and their work is being displayed in the classroom now! Thanks for reading and please visit again!
Mrs. Edwards

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: